WIRE ROPE FIELD DRESSING
WATER DISPLACING & RUST PREVENTATIVE
XL6500 is a solvent cut-back Wire Rope Field Dressing that should be applied immediately after a rope has been installed, to protect against the potential onset of corrosion within the core.
The solvent cut-back of XL6500 offers the following advantages:
• Softens old dressing materials to make the rope more receptive to new dressing.
• Penetrates all the way to the rope core
• Evaporates quickly, allowing the rope to be used shortly after dressing
• Provides Extreme Pressure (EP) lubrication
• Protects against the corrosive effects of water and brine
• Water displacing
• Excellent low temperature flexibility
• Resists excessive dirt pick-up
• Non-flammable solvent offers safe field application
XL6500 is most effectively applied when the rope is in motion, and preferably while it is being bent over a sheave or pulley. Bending opens the spaces between the strands so that the dressing can penetrate to the interior and into the rope core.
XL6500 may be further diluted with chlorinated solvents or mineral spirits to the consistency desired for application by spray (airless), brush, or dip coating.
REMOVAL: XL6500 may be removed with petroleum solvents.
Flash Point (minimum, dry)
Film Thickness (dry)
5% Salt Spray
XL6500 may also be used as an excellent undercoating protection for automotive and off-road
equipment. Also for machinery and equipment coating for storage and transportation protection.
NOTE: If a lighter-coloured film is desired, use XL6560 for a softer, oilier finish.